Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Need additional measurements for Altec 817 Cabnet Plans

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have started building my 3 Altec 817 Cabinets. I am having trouble finding some of the measurements per the following drawing: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1970's-lf-plans/enclosures10.jpg
    I need to know the width of the horn opening. Is it the same (8 inches) as several of the other Altec horns? Is the port width approximately 2 3/4 inches? Is the horn thickness 3/8"? I have tried to draw the plans with AutoCad and these are the measurements that I came up with. Does anyone have an Altec 817 Cabinet that could measure the horn opening, port width and horn thickness? I have seen another drawing that has different dimensions but they do not work when I try to draw the plans in AutoCad. My construction of the cabinets is on hold until it gets warmer. It is -11 degrees here in Green Bay this morning. I drag my tools out in the driveway when I am working on the project. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Reed

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    I need to know the width of the horn opening. Is it the same (8 inches) as several of the other Altec horns?

    ====

    Yes.

    ====

    > Is the port width approximately 2 3/4 inches?

    ====

    2-27/32".

    ====

    >Is the horn thickness 3/8"?

    ====

    Yes.

    GM

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you ------- Thank you very much! Reed

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mrbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2003
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Take a look at this site. It might have what you need.
    http://www.soundpractices.com/altec.html

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks MrBill but the drawing that you are referring to is not correct. The 3 dimensions above the Front View have been added and are not correct. That drawing with GM's corrections give me all of the dimensions needed to build the 817's. The horn opening should be 8" and the port opening should be 2-27/32". I verified this by drawing the cabinet in AutoCad and the numbers add up. As soon as it is warm enough out on my driveway, I will be out there sawing wood to build 3 of these animals. Thanks a bunch. Reed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.